Monday, July 16, 2007

Transformation

People may not believe what you say, but they will always believe what you do. This applies to everything; from feats of physical skill to the way in which we live our day-to-day lives.


Some call it "put up or shut up" or "walk the talk".

If you speak of strength, you must be able to demonstrate it.
If you claim to be great coach or a teacher, people will notice who you have trained (or more importantly, who you haven't). Calling yourself an expert doesn't make you one.

If you talk about honesty, integrity, or honor your actions tell the world all that is needed. If you lie to your friends and cheat on your wife, you are a liar and a cheat, no matter how humble and classy you appear in public.

In this spirit, I am embarking upon a transformation.

See, I help other people lose massive amounts of bodyfat. I am good at it.

But the question came up (again) recently: "He claims to be able to get people lean, but where is his 6-pack? If it works so well, why isn't he lean?"

This isn't the first time I have heard this.

I will answer these questions publicly now.
1. My 6-pack is safely hidden away in a cooler, that is, a layer of belly fat that obscures it from view.
2. I am not lean because I eat too damn much, same as anyone else. I train hard, but as I have said sooooo many times to clients, you cannot out-snatch a doughnut ( in my case, cookies and french fries, I am not huge doughnut fan). Believe me, I have tried. I am 50-ish pounds lighter than I was 4 years ago when I became an RKC. I could stand to be another 40 less than I am now.
Leanness has not been high enough priority in my life to make the changes and sacrifices that I MUST do in order to achieve it.
That has changed.
John Berardi and his team over at Precision Nutrition (http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cmd.php?af=537102) announced the PN transformation challenge and I toyed with the idea of entering it. Then I read Alwyn Cosgrove's blog on the subject. Paraphrasing the Scotsman I am going to be training for the next 4 months ANYWAY, so why not enter the PN challenge and use it as extra motivation?? I didn't have a good answer.
So I entered the contest. As of today.
I will be posting weekly updates here because if annoncing it publicly means I am accountable to the world, or at least the people who stop by this blog.
Here are the before photos, taken 7-15-07:

Watch what happens.






14 comments:

Fireman Tom said...

Dave,
I remember meeting you at the June 2003 RKC, and so you look much slimmer in my eyes now, but I understand how "the public" is about looks.

But the best side-effect of losing the weight will be to lessen the strain on your joints and your heart. The analogy I use with big guys like you is that you're like a pick-up truck with a huge V8, but carrying a load of sand in the bed. The strain that puts on your brakes, tires, transmission, engine, etc. will prematurely wear down this powerful machine.

Wish you all the best in your quest! Takes a lot of courage [ and/or craziness... ] to do this on'line!

Tom

Jim Ryan said...

I agree with Tom - and I'm in the same boat as you, I LOVE to eat!

I'm slowly and less publicly workin' on it too. Best of luck to you! That took courage to post you as is.

12% bodyfat sounds like a good destination to me!

Geoff Neupert said...

DW,

Putting yourself on the line publicly like this--that's Hard Style!

I'm rootin' for you, big-dog!

Will you be posting your training?

Geoff

Douglas said...

Dave, you look slimmer than when i met you after I returned from Afghanistan. the TGU shoulder rehab routine you gave me worked wonders. I'm 110% now thanks to you.Berardis stuff is excellent and I know you will do great.
Thanks so much
Douglas
1st SGT USMC Force Recon

Iron Tamer said...

going public with it isn't courage it is a way for me not to slack.

Iron Tamer said...

G$,
I'll be posting some of it. It will be very boring.

I'll give it it's own post as time goes along.

Royce said...

OH HEEELLL YEAH!! Right on brother! You get 6 pack lean and you'll be a monster!

I hear ya on the food man, pizza and good beer are my 2 white whales. Rock the hell on man! I'm rooting for you.

Doug Nepodal Sr. RKC said...

Go for it David! Good Luck! Gotta love those super shakes.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

All the best in this journey. Appearance shouldn't define our knowledge, skills, abilities, etc. Sadly, in the industry it does. I wish you good fortune and success. I'm sure you will achieve your goal and looking forward to watching the progress!

In health, strength, and peace,
Rebecca

Boris T said...

All the best. And prove all those who doubt your knowledge that you can do it.

It is a shame that in this business, knowledge is not enough but that you must also look the part.

So get lean, look mean and kick some ass! :)

Mark Reifkind said...

You will do it! I can't wait to see the changes.

Pete said...

Dave,

We have never met (but I hope to at the Sept. RKC) but I can relate in so much as I am a big guy, too. Right now I am following the Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle eating plan from Tom Venuto. Good luck with your transformation.Watching your feats of strength is phenomenal.

MikeC in NZ RKC said...

Good stuff, I am also trying to lose some weight, but for the Sept RKC. I'm giving the Warrior diet a shot - well my version anyway. If you will be at the Sept RKC it'll be good to see how you are doing

Tom Furman said...

Congrats Dave, I am happy you are taking this step. I'd hate to have you lift something heavy and check out due to coronary issues or an aneurism. Picking up heavy stuff is fun, but health is first and you don't want the 78 year old guy who garden's, does tai-chi, and weighs 150lbs to out live you and have better knees and blood pressure. I look forward to your progress.